No, not the BIG questions (sorry for the teaser), but the everyday questions that people in our situation field from caring friends and family.
“What can I do?”
“How can we help?”
I’m probably not the only person who cannot answer such queries on-the-spot. It is all so overwhelming that it is hard to think of specifics when those questions come up. I was musing about this the other day and the thought occurred to me that there ought to be a registry – like a bridal or baby shower registry – that people can go to and see a list of what is needed and then match their own set of resources to something on the inventory. A Help Registry.
So I made a list this morning, and I thought that that by posting it here, anyone who is in our area and has the inclination could take a look and get a better answer than my usual “Oh, we’re fine, thank you though…” Because, to be truthful, a helping hand now and then would be a huge stress reliever, and we could bless each other in the process. Therefore, for those in the vicinity, and in no particular order, here it is:
- Take non-curb items and shredding to recycling center
- Pick up/drop off donations
- Yard work (weeding, trimming/pruning)
- Garden tool sharpening
- Masonry repair on Bilco doors
- Help with putting on a yard sale
- Let me give you some kefir grains (comes with personal tutorial on making your own kefir)
- Sheetrock finishing (mudding/taping/sanding)
- Check out lawn mower before winter storage and snow blower before winter use
- Minor carpentry
- Stain back deck (really small back deck 🙂 )
- Lunch together
We have been blessed this past year with the generosity of so many. I hope this is helpful for anyone who has been wondering about a way to lend a hand.
Humbly and gratefully yours,